Old March 23rd 11, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata
Chris D'Agnolo[_2_]

Default 215/40-R16 Yokohama S.Drive tires

"Body Roll" > wrote in message

I think Direzza Sport Z1 Star Spec is the current king of the wet
traction hill
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.... Z1+Star+Spec

I loved these when I had them on my protege. Wet traction is almost
indistinguishable from dry traction.

> --
> Alan Baker
> Vancouver, British Columbia
> <http://gallery.me.com/alangbaker/100008/DSCF0162/web.jpg>

Alan, I've heard allot about those tires and I'm really hoping to try them
one of these days. I think the one thing that holds me back on them is the
price to treadwear rating ratio, so-to-speak. I know they'll be incredibly
grippy but I wonder if I'll go thru them in a heart beat. I've gotten to
where I like to autocross and do track days with the same tires I use as
daily drivers. And, I like them to last for awhile. I'm currently getting
about 2 years and 20k out of the Yoko Prada Spec 2's and they are very
grippy both wet and dry imho. Do you think these Dunlops would hold up that
long? I think the Dunlops are rated 220 and the Yokos are rated 300. I know
those are not necessarily scientifically comparable #'s but it seems to
indicate significant difference in tread life. Oh, and it looks like they
are significantly cheaper (at Tire Rack) also. I've driven these tires with
Falken Azennis (front vs rear) and swear by their performance in comparison.

Chris
99BBB