Old August 11th 13, 10:20 AM posted to rec.autos.4x4
Ashton Crusher[_2_]

Default help , 1997 gmc jimmy . towing requirements for utility trailer 2000 lb payload

On Sat, 10 Aug 2013 08:45:49 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

>I bought a used 1997 gmc jimmy with factory tow package to haul stock for my business. I am looking at a 5 x 10 utility trailer to carry about 2000 lb cargo.
>
>I will be doing two trips of 600 miles and return initially. There are no extreme hills and I plan on the return trip taking 3 or 4 says.
>
>The hitch says 2000lb or 6000 with weight adjusting hitch. The owners manual says electric brakes for over 1000 lb trailer.
>
>Several trailer dealers have told me I do NOT need trailer brakes and my hitch is fine for a trailer of 2990 GVW.
>
>I dont mind spending the money on upgrades since it will be a cost of the business.
>

>Do I need trailer brakes ?
>do I need to get a new hitch rated to say 4 - 5000 lbs ?
>
>any comments welcome - this is much harder than I thought

I would say in general that for 2000 pounds you can get by without
brakes but you need to drive accordingly. State law may say
otherwise. That said, if you are going to be making this trip
regularly I'd get a trailer with trailer brakes, it's one thing to
make the occasional trip and just exercise extra caution, but if you
are doing it regularly you are going to get "used" to the trip and
your level of caution will go down and the lack of problems will lull
you into a false sense of security, then BOOM you'll get in trouble.