Old January 10th 18, 08:00 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Wed, 10 Jan 2018 14:34:51 -0500,
Tekkie+AK4- wrote:

> have you checked the hoses yet? Don't bother with pix.

Hi Tekkie,
Thanks for your advice.
Please see my detailed response to your other post.

As for hoses, I'm not trying to overhaul the vehicle - so I haven't checked
anything.

In fact, I wasn't even looking for brake issues, because the owner didn't
report any brake issues. I was simply rotating her tires for her, and since
I had the wheels off, I popped the pins out of the rotor to look at the
pads in front and I pulled the shoe off to look at the shoes in the rear.

So, my main goal is just to refresh the pads and shoes, but it's sound
advice when I do the job on a weekend to check her hoses and cable for
fraying.

So what I'll do, as per your helpful advice, is buy the pads and probably
the rebuild kit, and then when I do the job, I'll inspect from the front to
the rear all the cables and hoses.

I'll also order a liter of DOT4 fluid (even though it only specifies DOT3),
and I'll borrow her kid and replenish her entire brake fluid until it is
all new too.

Thanks for the advice.

Remember, none of us differ except that I seem to be caring more about
friction for friction materials while others care more about it being the
OEM spec - both of which aren't necessarily different.

However, if the OEM spec is E, I will likely refuse to put them on the
vehicle as I have never put anything less than F on any vehicle.