Old January 10th 18, 03:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Mad Roger

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Tue, 09 Jan 2018 17:20:53 -0600,
AMuzi wrote:

> You might want a second opinion on those parts prices:
> http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/toyota

Wow. What a difference in prices from the Toyota dealer!
It's not half, it's not a third, or a fifth - it's one tenth the price!

The only thing I need now is to know the OEM shoe friction ratings.

I'd be perfectly happy with just-as-good friction pads as OEM at those
RockAuto prices of basically $12 per "something".

I guess I need to call RockAuto in the morning at 1-608-661-1376 (Wisconsin
time zone) to figure out two critical things:

1. How many shoes come for $12 (one?, two? four?)
2. What's the cold/hot friction rating?

It's shocking that Toyota didn't know the friction rating, and RockAuto
doesn't know the friction rating based on their web page (admittedly good
prices).

The friction rating is the *most* important thing about a brake shoe -
nothing else even matters if they are a worse friction rating than what you
want.

And yet, the RockAuto page lists shoe after shoe after shoe after shoe
after shoe (Centric, Bosch, Wagner, ACDelco, RayBestos, PowerStop, Monroe,
BeckArnley, Bendix, etc.) and not one of them specifies the most important
thing about a brake shoe!

WTF? It's impossible to buy brake pads or shoes without knowing the
friction rating. Who on earth can possibly compare two brake shoes without
that critical information?

It's not like a brake shoe has any other major job but friction.

The higher the number the stronger the friction (SAE J866a):
E = 0.25-0.35
F = 0.35-0.45
G = 0.45-0.55
H = 0.55-0.65
http://faculty.ccbcmd.edu/~smacadof/DOTPadCodes.htm

Given RockAuto and Toyota don't seem to tell people the pad's friction
rating, I have to wonder ... do people really buy friction materials
knowing nothing about their cold & hot friction coefficients?