Old January 9th 18, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On 01/09/2018 01:01 PM, Mad Roger wrote:

> Tekkie+AK4- wrote:
>
>> I didn't look at any of the pix. It should be ok if not scored or bell
>> mouthed or other problems.

> The drums are perfectly fine in that they have 2mm to spare even after 175K
> miles on the original drums.
>
> As you're probably aware, scoring has to be huge to fail a rotor or drum
> (really huge when you look at the specs, it's amazing how huge).

Several ~1/4" x 1/4" plus a number of smaller ones before I noticed any
problem except screeching. Ultimately I had to replace the rotors
($10/each) when the hogging-in started. It's interesting to know that
the pad backing plates are this sturdy!

> The shoes are $157 for a set, and the cylinders are $102 each at Toyota.

Jesus, that's kind of scary. For that big an investment you (or at
least *I*) might as well pay somebody else to do the work. FWIW I was
always happy with Pep Boys 'lifetime' parts. That was before most stuff
came from China, though.

If only there had been digital cameras to permanently record how those
nasty drum springs were arranged last time I did it -- I am guaranteed
to reassemble everything in every possible wrong way before finally
getting it right :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
"If you were trying to be offensive, you would have succeeded if I