Old January 9th 18, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Monday, January 8, 2018 at 1:50:07 PM UTC-10, Mad Roger wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 16:31:04 -0500,
> Tekkie wrote:
>
> > No mad man you have not researched anything, you ask everybody and argue and
> > then criticize. If you HAD researched you would know all about the cables,
> > shoes and adjusters. You are too busy taking pix and asking questions. 1)
> > Take pix of brake assy after pulling drum.

> Thanks for the advice, which is much appreciated.
>
> I don't think I said I was done with my homework - just that I was asking
> out of due diligence - where I have plenty more homework to do, as you are
> astutely noting.
>
> I haven't watched this whole video yet - it's an hour long - but it should
> be able to give me all the physical steps necessary to replace the brakes..
>
> Drum Brake Shoe Replacement, Timmy The Toolman
> <https://youtu.be/IJkVEBYSecs>
>
> > Go to NAPA and ask for a brake kit and linings and cylinders because
> > yours will leak after you push the seals back or rebuild the cylinders.

> The Toyota threads I've found insist on Toyota OEM shoes, but do say the
> rest of the hardware can be gotten elsewhere.
>
> The cylinders don't appear to be shot, but 20 years is a long time so they
> probably will fare with a rebuild.
>
> The Toyota folks say get the "u clip" which has to be bent, and which comes
> standard with a factory OEM kit but might not come with the NAPA kit. We
> don't have NAPA anywhere nearby, but we have other brands like Autozone,
> and O'Reillys and Petboys.
>
> > Measure the drums as they may be shot after this debacle.

> In the OP you see me measuring the internal diameter of the drums, which
> have a limit of 297mm, but it's only 295 mm so we should be ok. Are you
> intimating that the 2mm isn't enough of a safety zone?
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9335528drum_brakes_2.jpg>
>
> I think 2mm should be enough. It would be fine on a rotor.
> <http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9428041drum_brakes_3.jpg>

You got the tools but still have questions if your drum diameter is any good. Why the heck are you measuring the diameter? That info is mostly for the lathe operator if you need to have the drums resurfaced. I've never calipered a drum in my life. You get the new shoes and check the drum diameter by holding it against the drum surface. It'll be obvious if the diameter is too large. This ain't rocket science but you don't seem to be able to grasp the concepts of what's happening here. That's discouraging.