Old January 8th 18, 07:36 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Clare Snyder

Default Drum brakes - do you disconnect the parking brake cable?

On Mon, 8 Jan 2018 07:02:22 -0000 (UTC), Mad Roger
> wrote:

>I haven't done drum brakes ever but I'm faced with these drum brakes where
>I'd just like to ask a couple of questions from those of you who have done
>drum brakes before.
>
>1. I released the parking brake from the cabin and screwed these 2-inch
>long metric 8mm x 1.25mm threads bolts to pull the drum off the shoes.
><http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=5687240drum_brakes_0.jpg>
>
>2. After blowing the dust out (and not breathing it in), I could see that
>the front shoe was worn down to about a millimeter or less (after 175K
>miles), so I'm going to have to buy new shoes and replace them.
><http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=3478506drum_brakes_1.jpg>
>
>3. I measured the drum to be 2mm smaller than the maximum diameter:
><http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9335528drum_brakes_2.jpg>
>
>4. Where the maximum diameter of 297mm was stamped on the drum itself:
><http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=9428041drum_brakes_3.jpg>
>
>5. It was hard to get the drum back on even with the parking brake released
>from the cabin, so I had to use a mallet to bang it back on:
><http://www.bild.me/bild.php?file=2434045drum_brakes_4.jpg>
>
>The main question is whether I'm supposed to *disconnect* the cable for the
>parking brake when working on the drums, and particularly when I put the
>new shoes on after I buy them.
>
>Also, only one shoe is worn, and it's the front shoe, and it's been on
>there for 175K miles, but I wonder if the shoes can be switched, so that
>the front shoe is in the rear and the rear shoe is in the front, since they
>wore so unevenly (sort of like rotating tires).
>
>But mainly I'm not sure what the procedure is for the parking brake cable.
>Can you advise?

Take the vehicle to a mechanic and have the brakes professionally
repaired. You are not mentally equipped to do the job (not saying you
are stupid, but you don't understand the implications well enough to
do the job adequately. You LIKELY need new cabvles, and ot cyls, and
or adjusters along with the shoes - which you MOST CERTAINLY can NOT
just swithch positions. The adjusters should have been backed off to
replace the drums.