Old December 21st 15, 01:19 AM posted to alt.autos.bmw
Doug Chadduck

Default Brand new here looking for advice where/how to sell 88 BMW weinherited.

On 12/20/2015 4:31 PM, Your Name wrote:
> In article >, Doug Chadduck
> > wrote:
>>
>> I'm in CA, Bay Area. We inherited an 88 328i in remarkably good shape.
>> We want to sell it but not quite sure where to start. It's not an old
>> POS and we don't want to just give it away. I figure on hitting area
>> dealers to see it they have any boards to post on. Maybe Craigs list but
>> I hear a lot of not good things about selling, particularly vintage, on
>> there.

> I doubt 1988 qualifies as "vintage". :-)

I was trying to be nice and not call it "old".
vbg

>> Am having no luck trying to find any local area BMW enthusiasts.
>> Any thoughts anyone might have that they could share would be greatly
>> appreciated.

> If you just want to sell it with as little hassle as possible, then the
> dealer / card yard is the place to go.
>
> It you want the best price, then you have to sell it privately and face
> the potential of time wasters and someone who might just steal it,
> crash it, or simply take bits off it as a source of "free" spare parts
> for their own car.

Know the type.

> One alternative might be car auction yards. There's one here in New
> Zealand that will either buy the car off you and then auction it
> themselves, or will auction it on your behalf (they of course charge a
> fee, but you still might end up with a better price than through a car
> dealer / yard).

I think a private sale is about the only way to get a reasonable, imho,
amount for it. Like I said, We don't want to give it away,
but.......State will give us $1000 to scrap it and get it off the road
but the car is in way to good a shape for that. Lots of big $$ work done
at Dealer. Everything tight and clean. One small ding. etc.Got all the
maintenance records for years.
Got time. But with insurance and registration etc., this winter sometime
would be nice. Will see. Thanks