Old November 20th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
necromancer[_1_]

Default From the AAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! Files.

Ladies and Gentlemen (and I use those words loosely), Brent P said in
rec.autos.driving:
> In article et>, necromancer wrote:
>
> > the engine compartment after I pulled over. It was just the wheel and
> > the bolt that attached to the alternator. Fortunately, the bolt didn't
> > appear to be broken, so hopefully it will be a quick fix for the
> > mechanic.

> If the bolt is fine then someone didn't tighten it for certain....
>
> Couldnt tell from your story if it was loose bolts or the thing had
> sheared.

Just got the car back a couple of hours ago. Closer examination of the
bolt revealed the bolt was fine, but the bearings in the pulley had
seized. When that happened, the belt grabbed the pulley and backed it
out of the hole. Guess that's better than having the belt snatch the
pulley and either burn up the belt or torque the bolt down so hard that
it has to be tapped out.

Oh, well, I guess that's the price of driving a 10YO car with 133 000
miles on the odometer.....

--
"I... Can't drive... FIFTY-FIVE!!"
--Sammy Hagar