Old September 14th 05, 07:33 AM
Arto Wikla

Thanks Alanb, dave henrie, Mr Q, Ade and Byron Forbes,

your advice helped and now rFactor is running quite smoothly.

I list below what I did and what I did not.
Perhaps this list may help others, too? As some kind of remainder?

(My system is Radeon 9600 XT-4, Pentium 4 3.20GHz 1024MB)

1) I chose the "DX7 (performance)". Not too ugly.
2) I did not stop _all_ the other the programs, but I
stopped nearly all the programs started by me: browser
windows etc. I think 1024MB memory is enough, when unnecessary
programs are stopped.
3) vsync is off.
4) I did not update the video drivers.
5) I did not lock down the swap file.
6) I set the shadows off. Not too big loss of immersion.
7) I did not dare to touch the FSAA.
8) The passing hidden AI cars near the pit lane really
seemed to be often the place where fps's dropped!
Strange: does the program draw also hidden objects?
See comment 10 below.
9) I did not dare to touch the AGP Aperture settings in BIOS.
10) I turned down to 8 the number of opponents drawn. It would be
nice to be able to set that asymmetrically: more cars drawn in
front of you than behind. Now with the setting 8 the popping cars
in front of you is a little disturbing... I must try something
like 10-12?

There are so many combinations of settings that it is really complicated
to test, which changes had biggest effects...

BTW: Is there any easy way to see the fps's in rFactor, like alt-F?
BTW2: To me rFactor looks promising. After GPL there has been so many
disappointments...

Thanks again guys! :-)

Arto