Old February 11th 08, 04:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Ironrod

Default Mustang GT and K&N air charger

"My Name Is Nobody" > wrote in message

> "Ironrod" > wrote in message

and

air

engine

little

ratio

is

increase

> > magical

> > filter

> > demanding

> > exceeds

> > approach

> > change,

because
> > of
> >>
> >> The air filter is a restriction to air flow under ALL CONDITIONS. This
> >> is an undeniable fact. As it gets dirty is becomes a larger and larger
> >> restriction. This restriction affects performance under all

conditions.
> >> How much varies with the conditions and the efficiency of the filter.
> >> An engine is an air pump. Anytime the pump can move more air it

makes
> >> more power and becomes more efficient.

> > Approach it this way, imagine walking down a hallway 10 foot square with
> > its
> > sides converging. As you move towards the end the corridor gets narrower
> > until you can no longer pass. Now as long as you remain in the portion

of
> > the hallway that is as large or larger than you are, you can run back

and
> > forth at whatever speed you feel like. It won't be until you reach the
> > point where your start rubbing up against the walls that your forward
> > progress will be slowed. So goes the Air Filter, as it becomes dirtier
> > the
> > walls close in, so to speak, but still you can move about freely. It
> > won't
> > be until after the walls have narrowed to the point that you can no

longer
> > walk upright that your movement is significantly impeded.
> >

> Your example assumes that the clean filter provides ZERO restriction, that
> just isn't so.

No, I am saying that the restriction remains constant throughout its
service life, further that when the filter reaches the end of its service
life you will only feel it at the engines top end, remember in this example
I'm just talking about the air filter. Now when you take the entire intake
tract as a whole then the walls of my hypothetical corridor are by necessity
only as wide as the engine's air flow requirements need them to be. The
variable, of course, is the throttle plate which can only reduce the intake
restriction by a specific percentage determined by the engine load. Opened
wider the engine goes faster, closed it goes slower. Change the filter or
remove it entirely then the throttle plate must be adjusted (by means of
your foot) to restrict the air flow down to only the required amount. No
more no less.