Old February 3rd 13, 02:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

Default 406 Twin Turbo

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:31:19 PM UTC-6, tww1491 wrote:
> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF Capt
> who
>
> was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He claimed it was a
>
> 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did not ask him anything
>
> about power although I opined the car was far faster than anyone could
>
> drive. Research on the WEB indicates this engine produces 1200 hp at 5800
>
> rpm and is a daily driver. True? My S2000 pales in comparison although I
>
> have to wonder where in the heck you could drive something like that.
>
> Probably "old hat" to Dad and the rest of you on this rather quiet
> newsgroup

Lots of people do that to their C5/C6 Vette if they have the money to do so.
I think alot of it has to do with ego and bragging rights by having insane
amounts of hp and tq. Such a vette would be ideal for the drag strip so
long as it had a cage , or, for short bursts of acceleration merging onto
the Interstate . For speeds in upwards of 140 mph which this vette is
capable of, youd need a safe off-road place like an airport or a long
deserted road that is in good shape , relatively straight , with Spotters
to make sure no one else is around. In short, they are good for the 'wow'
factor as at car shows, etc... but they arent too terribly practical . If
tuned well, they make fine around town cars with few problems arising if
any. I wouldnt mind borrowing something like that for a couple hours just
to experience the acceleration..but thats about it.

Tell us what "lot of people" equates to in numbers. Would 10/15 out of say
30,000 be lots of people to you? Even at the car shows I see very few if any
that pump out that kind of HP. As I told you before I have friends that have
7 second cars and few if any drive them on the street, well, one does but
he's driven that type of car all his driving life. My nephew drives a 502
CID double shot '66 Impala from the trailer to the strip and a few times up
and down the side road by his house in the country but has little or no
reason to be getting onto an Interstate.