Old March 11th 08, 10:32 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Tony R

Default IRacing Pricing

Bart Westra wrote:

>> However, what you *can't* feel is the minute changes of grip, the details of
>> the racing surface, the tyre response and changes. FFB has improved this in
>> the front axis area, but this is still the main problem and shortcoming of a
>> sim. My main gripe right now is the ability to read what takes place at the
>> rear end of my cars.
>>
>> All this comes from reading the Gs you pull, and this can never be simulated
>> per se; we'll have to wait for that back-of-your-skull connector to simulate
>> that.

> Wouldn't a simple way be to have some G-meters on the dashboard? Like what the
> rev meter does for speed?
> And in the sound department, the sqeal of a slipping tire can help to assess
> (loss of) grip. I used to turn the relative volume for sqealing up for this
> reason in GPx.

In my view for a sim to work you have to "feel" it. For me this is
primarily graphically. FFB adds to immersion rather than giving really
useful feedback what the car is doing. Once tuned in to the graphics the
seat of the pants feel comes to play by how the car rotates. It takes
time though which is why most novices can't get any sensation of a car
moving underneath them.

The audio adds to the sensation of speed but again for me this is
primarily graphically fed. That "woah" feeling as you go that bit faster
through a corner. Bumps help to add to the speed sensation.

It needs to be feeling too fast to look at g-force meters in my view...

Cheers
Tony