Old November 14th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Plowboy

Default Microsoft wheel

Technically you all are at least half wrong from my experience in Sidewinder
and monitoring this beard of the last 5 years...

I have knowledge that something in windows XP service pak2 screws up the
installation, (something to do with scripting that was an open hole for
security). If you have a PreService pack 2 install disk, install the wheel
before you do win updates. Hell I even got this wheel (sidewinder FF wheel)
working under RC1 of vista, by installing the wheel before I did the
upgrades for xp, then installed the trial version of Vista as an
"upgrade"...

Yes, in any case, XP did warn you it was not software for "your version of
windows", but we go ahead and install it and all the profiles anyway. But I
repeat something in ServicePack2 ruins the ability to change profiles from
inside the controlpanel appication that is in use when you install the
driver and profiles.

I do not know the work around if you get everything on SP2, I do know you
cannot mess with the particulars of profiles but I was sure you could select
one & load one if you had one. if you need one pick the GPL or get a
profile from a buddy. I created the one I use, from the GPL one supplied,
with seperate pedals and all that. this allowed me to race GPL, RBR, GTR,
GTLegends, NRO3 and some others without changing the profile all the time.
It aint as great as changing for each game, but this way all the games are
relatively the same to me, the way I like it...