Old September 8th 15, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 11:13:01 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 16, 2010 at 9:29:16 AM UTC-7, /dev/phaeton wrote:
> > Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
> > front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
> > This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
> > arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
> > sides.
> >
> > At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
> > O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
> > parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
> > case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
> > differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
> > rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
> > by the same contractor.
> >
> > Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
> > eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
> > sounding to me than the store brands.
> >
> > Any thoughts?
> >
> > Thanks.

> I'm looking for an A/C condenser on my 2004 Chrysler Sebring. AutoZone for $162 O'Reilly's for $172 Napa for $241 Which is my best bet?

Your best bet is to buy all three, compare them, keep the best one, and return the others. You might want to also buy the condenser from the dealer and also a $60 part from eBay. My guess is that they'll be pretty much the same. Please be the guinea pig and find out if this is really true.