Old September 28th 04, 04:10 AM
Jim Michael

I have a car with left-handed lug nuts on the left side (a 1967 Alfa Romeo,
which my wife and I bought new in 1968). Whenever I get tires or have
suspension work done, I try to remember to tell the guys about it. We still
don't know about the lug nuts on the trailer, though, which started this
thread.

Jim Michael

"G.R. Patterson III" > wrote in message

> Larry wrote:
> >
> > I *think* it was right-hand thread on the right side, and left-hand
> > thread on left side. The theory, as I recall, was that if a lug nut came
> > loose, the forward motion of the vehicle would be more likely to keep
> > the nut from working its way off the stud.

> That's definitely the idea, as I recall, but I still think they marked the

left-hand
> threaded lugs. IIRC, they stamped the end of the lug with an "L" on one

side of the
> car.
>
> BTW, I also remember it being the left side of the car that had the

left-hand
> threads. I worked at a gas station in the mid-60s, and ran into it in the

usual way.
> :-)
>
> George Patterson
> If a man gets into a fight 3,000 miles away from home, he *had* to

have