Old November 12th 05, 07:34 PM
Lee K. Gleason

Default [possible prolapsed tailshaft spline on GMS S-15 truck

"Whitelightning" > wrote in message

>d> making a couple of assumptions here (a dangerous thing to do I know)
> you have installed the drive shaft on the spline and hooked the rear

u-joint
> to the rear end and the over all length appears ok, except the center
> support mounting holes aren't lining up. Is it possible the bearing wasn't
> pressed on far enough, or that it is the wrong bearing? Or it was pressed
> on incorrectly and the retention ring kept the assy from pressing on far
> enough?
> Timken part number HB88107E

Yah, measured 'em and they are the same. But, I'm starting to think that
maybe the problem happened when I had the transmission worked on a couple of
months back - now that I think about it, the old center support was all torn
up, I assumed the disintegrating u joint did it, but maybe being forced into
mis-position by the smooth apes at the transmission place is what destroyed
it, and maybe the mounting spots were misaligned somehow by them...time to
crawl back under and study it some more. Thanks all for the ideas.

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants