Old November 10th 05, 02:45 AM
Whitelightning

Default [possible prolapsed tailshaft spline on GMS S-15 truck

"Lee K. Gleason" > wrote in message
> I have an 82 GMC S-15, v6 2.8L, 2 wheel drive, long wheelbase.
>
> After 140,000 or so miles, one of the driveshaft U-joints disintegrated,
> and the subsequent flailing around destroyed the equally old driveshaft
> support bearing and cushion (it's a 2 piece driveshaft).
>
> Took it out, and had the U-joints replaced, and pressed on a new support
> bearing & cusion assembly. But, now, when I try to put everything back on
> the truck, I insert the transmission yoke in, and at the other end of that
> driveshaft segment, the support bearing is too far aft to bolt into its
> postion on the crossmember, by about an inch. I compared with the old

parts,
> and everything is the same dimensions. I notice, that the splined shaft

that
> pokes out of the tailshaft (that receives the slip yoke on the front of

the
> driveshaft) is poking out of the end of the tailshaft housing by about an
> inch ... haven't seen many of these - all my other driveshaft fixes have
> been on manual trans cars - is that protrusion normal? I'm thinking

not...if
> not, is sorting it out a job for an amateur, or should I have it towed to
> the transmission shop? Anyone seen this problem before?
>
> Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
> Control-G Consultants

Yes the output shaft of the tranny sticks out a bit.

making a couple of assumptions here (a dangerous thing to do I know)
you have installed the drive shaft on the spline and hooked the rear u-joint
to the rear end and the over all length appears ok, except the center
support mounting holes aren't lining up. Is it possible the bearing wasn't
pressed on far enough, or that it is the wrong bearing? Or it was pressed
on incorrectly and the retention ring kept the assy from pressing on far
enough?
Timken part number HB88107E

You say compared new to old, by eyeball or did you measure?

Whitelightning