Old November 10th 05, 12:31 AM
Lee K. Gleason

Default [possible prolapsed tailshaft spline on GMS S-15 truck

I have an 82 GMC S-15, v6 2.8L, 2 wheel drive, long wheelbase.

After 140,000 or so miles, one of the driveshaft U-joints disintegrated,
and the subsequent flailing around destroyed the equally old driveshaft
support bearing and cushion (it's a 2 piece driveshaft).

Took it out, and had the U-joints replaced, and pressed on a new support
bearing & cusion assembly. But, now, when I try to put everything back on
the truck, I insert the transmission yoke in, and at the other end of that
driveshaft segment, the support bearing is too far aft to bolt into its
postion on the crossmember, by about an inch. I compared with the old parts,
and everything is the same dimensions. I notice, that the splined shaft that
pokes out of the tailshaft (that receives the slip yoke on the front of the
driveshaft) is poking out of the end of the tailshaft housing by about an
inch ... haven't seen many of these - all my other driveshaft fixes have
been on manual trans cars - is that protrusion normal? I'm thinking not...if
not, is sorting it out a job for an amateur, or should I have it towed to
the transmission shop? Anyone seen this problem before?

Lee K. Gleason N5ZMR
Control-G Consultants