Old July 5th 17, 04:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Retired

Default Warning, don't pour

On 7/5/17 10:45 AM, micky wrote:
> Warning, never pour fuel... into the throttle body air inlet opening in
> an attempt to start your car. Could result in flash fire..."
>
> I did this 2 or 3 times with carbureted cars, but I'm sure the same
> warning would be given for those cars if they were sold new now.
> However it worked well. I only needed to do this when I ran out of gas,
> and after a few times, I learned** to turn the engine off the moment it
> started to show signs of running out of gas, so that when I got a gallon
> of gas and tried to restart it, there was still gas in the gas line and
> it always restarted after a few seconds.
>
> Clearly, wih a current, fuel injected engine, gas poured into the air
> intake will not be injected into the cylinders, but it may be slightly
> vaporized and sucked in with the air.
>
> So my question is, will pouring a little gas into the air intake help to
> start a car that has run out of gas
>

> **Actually there were three stages:
>
> 1) At first, I'd pour the whole can of gas into the gas tank, and then I
> might run down the battery or risk overheating the starter motore before
> the car started. Maybe I had to get a jump, I can't remember.
>
> 2) I learned to not pour eveything into the gas tank and save some for
> the carburetor. I'd guess between a quarter and an eighth of a cup,
> maybe less. That always worked well. I think I tried starter fluid
> earlier, but maybe the car didn't run as long on starter fluid as it did
> on gasoline.
>
> 3) I learned to turn the engine off the moment it started to show signs
> of running out of gas, and iirc I didn't need to pour anything after
> that.

On a fuel-injected car, (or any with an electric, in-tank fuel pump)
you should only need to turn on the ignition, wait a few seconds for
the pump to pressurize the line, and then start the motor.

You might even hear the pump running, and then stop when pressurized.

I had a 1956 Dodge p/u that had an electric, in-line pump, and it
would start almost instantly upon turning the key. Not like most
carbureated cars that would take 3 or 4 turns to start while the
mechanical pump re-filled the fuel bowl.