Old August 10th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

Default 2013 Hyundai Sonata - Caster at low end of Spec Range

On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 1:49:28 PM UTC-10, wrote:
> dsi1:
>
> Look up online "2011 Hyundai Sonata wandering" and you'll
> understand why the concern. Although most of the issues
> were resolved by the third model year of the YF body Sonata,
> it is still good to havr alignment checked, especially on a
> used one with 30,000 miles.
>
> Another contributor to the wandering was the electric power
> steering and what mode it was set in at the factory. Mine was
> set to 'Soft'(maximum boost, minimum driver effort). I had my
> dealer set it to 'Sport'(minimum boost, most driver effort needed
> to steer car). In soft, even slight changes to the road angle, or
> a mild cross wind, would wrest the wheel from drivers' hands!
> It was reminiscent of the 70s 'one fingered' steering on
> full size models.
>

> Sport mode was a huge step in normalizing the handling/road
> feel of my Sonata, but I figured finding a way to maximize
> caster - within specs - would really ice the cake.

Just tell the alignment guy your problem and he'll probably just change the toe-im. I don't know if they'll be in spec but that should improve straight line stability. The young alignment guy might not want to do it so find the oldest, most ornery-looking coot in the shop and ask him. The price you pay will be increased tire wear.