Old June 5th 12, 04:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default lw300

"Fred" > wrote in message
> Hi Oppie
>
> I did this job on a '83 mustang V-6 once, but I think I broke it during
> the charging procedure somehow, as it never worked right. I would
> recommend you get a shop to charge the system once you get it all in. I
> don't know if the oil that is supposed to be injected first got to all the
> critical parts in time in my case.

I used to do quite a bit of work with R22 (old school) systems. Changing out
the receiver, adding the correct amount and type of oil (mineral) and then
properly evacuating the system down to better than 29" Hg is necessary to
pull out all the water vapor. It will freeze up the expansion valve
otherwise. Lots of folks make the mistake of adding liquid refrigerant to a
running compressor. Yes, it gets the stuff into the system fast but will
kill the compressor either through hydro-locking or by washing the oil from
the piston/cylinder and causing scoring. Always best to introduce only
refrigerant vapor to the low side. Put the cans in a pot of hot water to
keep it flowing.

Never really got the tools for R134a. R22 was dumb easy to remember
pressure/temperature. The suction side pressure in psi was very close to the
boiling temperature in degrees F (40psi=40 degrees F).

R134a has a more obscure pressure/temperature correspondence. Last time I
did anything with it, I needed a lookup chart. Then there are the EPA laws
and licenses now.

Compressor came in to my friend's shop on Friday. It was supposed to arrive
today so I didn't bother calling him (nor did he call me...). If I would
have had it earlier, I would have at least installed the new compressor over
the weekend. Now I have time constraints and will probably have his shop do
the whole job.

Interesting development though-
Kit was ordered through www.ranshu.com and came with new
compressor/clutch/pulley, new receiver/dryer, new manifold/hoses, gaskets
and a bottle of PAG oil. Nice thorough instructions but in bold letters, was
a note to use the belt included with the kit. No belt was in the kit so we
called and found that the new compressor pulley was slightly undersize so
have to find a serpentine belt 1/4" shorter than stock. (for correct
tensioning)

OEM belt is 79.53" six rib (Dayco 5060795 or equivalent)
Now will have to look up in the belt reference for something similar but
with effective length of 79.28". Next smallest belt though is 79.0" so may
take some experimentation...