Old May 29th 12, 07:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.saturn
Oppie[_7_]

Default lw300 rear strut

Replaced the rear struts on the '01 lw300 this weekend. One shock was
leaking oil and completely dead. Got the new parts through Autozone and got
the strut mount kits in addition to the struts. Good thing as in order to
remove the old strut from the bracket, some flame wrenching was needed and
things got a bit toasted.

Found the source of the klunk. Wasn't the bad shock as I thought but rather
a worn sway bar anchor bushing. I had ordered the bushings but wound up
getting the end bushings rather than the ones I needed. Strange that
Autozone only had the end bushings. I'll look around to see who has the
right ones. In the mean time, shimmed the worn bushing with a piece of
garden hose. Very quiet now and good ride.

Next project is to replace the A/C compressor. The clutch had died and was
just going to change out the clutch. Couldn't get it loose so will go for
the whole compressor. Probably just as good, this weekend, the A/C clutch
bearing started making bad noises. I may just take the car to a shop to have
this done. (Man's got to know his limitations)