Old July 30th 10, 07:08 PM posted to alt.autos.alfa-romeo
Catman

Default New motor....

Jim wrote:
> On 30/07/2010 18:11, Catman wrote:
>> GT wrote:

>>> I asked about this a year back - mine rarely reaches the 90 degree
>>> mark. It normally sits around 75 too. Has done this for 8 years, since
>>> new! No affect on performance or consumption! Only time it ever goes
>>> over 90 is after a decent motorway stretch, then a traffic queue. The
>>> fans kick in and you can actually watch the needle come back down.
>>>
>>> Mine is petrol 2.0 JTS though - did you say yours is diesel? Temps
>>> might be different, I dunno - expert please...
>>>

>> <expert>
>> The operating temps are, AFAIK, pretty similar.
>> The biggest issue with a stuck thermostat can be overheating (if it
>> sticks fully or partially closed), or more commonly IME lack of warmth
>> from the heater if it sticks open.
>> </expert>
>>
>> Just out of curiosity, how do you know it's having no effect on
>> consumption or performance if it's don it since new?
>>
>> Again, IME it *can* affect both if it sticks wide open, cos the engine
>> runs rich for longer while warming up.
>>

> This debate assumes the read out on the gauge is a fair reflection of
> the temperature of the engine. My 156 reads at a similar value and
> *seems* to perform adequately......averaging 50mpg if I drive sensibly.
> I would have expected the reading to be higher but I've had so many cars
> where the temperature gauge seems to be nothing better than a reasonable
> indication - nothing precise you understand. And all of the woes I have
> suffered with the 156 have, to date, been a direct result of poor
> electrics.....giving me the thought that my temperature gauge is just
> not as accurate as you might hope.

A perfectly valid point. OTOH I've never had a malfunctioning temp gauge
in any Alfa.

It's simple. and cheap to test the 'stat. But the real give away is how
soon and how hot does your heater get on a cold day?

> Anyway, all the above are nothing more than the ramblings of an old
> fool. Forgive me?

Of course.

116 Giulietta 3.0l Sprint 1.7 GTV TS GT 3.2 V6
Triumph Sprint ST 1050: It's blue, see.
www.cuore-sportivo.co.uk