Old March 17th 10, 07:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
aemeijers

Default NAPA vs. Autozone vs. O'Reilly... price and quality?

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Mar 2010 09:29:16 -0700 (PDT), phaeton
> > wrote:
>
>> Using online catalogues, i've priced out the parts to rebuild the
>> front end on my truck. (In-store pricing might be slightly different)
>> This will mean 2 upper control arm assys, 2 lower ball joints, control
>> arm bushings all around, and inner and outer tie rod ends for both
>> sides.
>>
>> At NAPA, it's about $450 for parts, at Autozone about $370, and
>> O'Reilly will be just under $300. These are all using store-branded
>> parts, not the generic (in NAPA's case) or Moog brand (in O'Reilly's
>> case). Is there any significant reason for this, or any major quality
>> differences? We're talking about a bunch of machined metal and
>> rubber, not microcontrollers. For all I know they could all be made
>> by the same contractor.
>>
>> Tempting as it it is, I see entire kits of everything listed above on
>> eBay for under $100. They're generic names, but no more generic
>> sounding to me than the store brands.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>>
>> Thanks.

> I second Nate - price it out on www.rockauto.com I've bought a bunch
> of stuff there. They usually have several levels of quality to chose
> from and most of the time will beat the prices of even the discount
> auto parts places with better quality parts.

Nobody else in this thread said it, so I will- Stuff That Can Kill You
is not the place to cut corners. If the engine stops running, it is a
PITA, but seldom fatal. If the brakes, tires, or major
steering/suspension components fail catastrophically, it can easily
become a very bad day. If you are keeping a beater or classic running,
more power to you, but you have to pick and choose where to save a buck.
I'll do without the nice stereo or new fuzzy dice if I have to, but I
won't buy anything less than OEM or better for the important stuff. The
no-name stuff may be fine, or it may be crap- you never know. And even
if it was fine last time, it could be crap this time. The generics and
house brands change suppliers all the time.

--
aem sends...