Old September 4th 08, 05:20 PM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Frank ess

Default HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?.............

Puddin' Man wrote:
> On Wed, 3 Sep 2008 20:52:10 -0700 (PDT), EADGBE
> > wrote:
>
>> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
>> start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
>> over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
>> start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.

> It would really, really help if you could elaborate on your "click"
> and the conditions at the time.
>
> There is a mechanical click when the ig. switch crosses the
> boundary to fire the starter.
>
> There is normally an electrical click when 12v current reaches the
> solenoid.
>
> Did you hear only the one? Both?
>
> Also, when you turned the ignition on, did any elec. components
> work (dash lights, horn, <anything>)? Was anything on the car
> powered?
>
> My '94 Tbird LX V8 went totally dead for about 20 min. 2 years
> ago. I checked most of the stuff mentioned in this thread.
> Never did find the culprit.

I had a Vega that showed the same symptoms, minus the click. It turned
out to be a switch problem: shorting the starter started it every
time.

I had a Dodge Dart with the same symptoms. The solenoid had a copper
disk that was supposed to rotate and distribute wear around the
circumference whenever it was brought into play, but most didn't, and
eventually wore an edge off the disk so there was no 12v contact to
pass current to the starter.

--
Frank ess