Old September 4th 08, 05:43 AM posted to alt.autos.ford,rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
jonezzzman[_2_]

Default HELP! Is It My Ignition Switch?.............

EADGBE wrote:
> I am having a weird problem with my 1996 Mustang GT.
>
> Over the past year, I have installed a new battery, alternator, and
> starter (two of them), cleaned and lubricated the ignition lock
> cylinder, AND checked all of the related wiring in an attempt to solve
> the problem, but no success so far.
>
> The problem is this: Every once in a while, when I turn the key to
> start the car, all I will get is a click. The car will not turn
> over. HOWEVER, if I keep turning the key, eventually the car does
> start again, as if nothing at all was wrong.
>
> There is NO pattern to when this occurs. The car can go for weeks
> with NO problem at all, and then I might experience the problem twice
> in one day, only to have the car return to normal the next day.
>
> It doesn't matter if the car is hot or cold. The problem has happened
> when the car is first started up in the morning, AND it has also
> happened in the middle of the day, when the car has been driven around
> and the engine is nice and hot.
>
> It has happened in wet weather and in dry weather.
>
> Could it be my ignition switch? I know that it obviously sounds like
> it might be the switch, but I am simply wondering if this has been a
> somewhat common problem with other Mustangs or Fords.
>
> I am also hesitant to spend the money on a new switch if someone has a
> viable alternative. After all, I have already replaced other major
> links in the chain and gotten nowhere.
>
> So, even though it might obviously be the ignition switch, I wanted to
> make this post just to get other opinions.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help you folks could offer.....

Sounds like a loose connection somewhere. Check the battery connections
and the ground to the engine. Check for loose connections on the
solenoid wires.

Next time it happens, I'd try starting the engine by turning the
ignition switch to the on position and shorting the connections on the
solenoid (if you know which ones). I believe that would tell you if its
the ignition switch or not. Hope that helps.

Byron