Old February 5th 09, 07:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled
Speedy Jim[_2_]

Default VW powered generator

wrote:
> I wonder how that would work out ?
> Would it be able to run continously for days or possible weeks at a
> time ?
>
> After this latest ice storm I've decided I need some kind of generator
> that can power
> the entire farm for extend periods. We were able to power the house
> but not the
> well pump, electric fences and a few other things. We were ok but I
> missed that
> running water and a shower.
>
> The electric fences being on would have been a real good thing to but
> there were and
> still are so many trees down on the fence it was shorted out anyways.
>
> Randy

Not such a bad idea.

See the variety of alternators this guy has on eBay:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Georgia-...__W0QQ_armrsZ1
just as an example.

Maybe the 8kw ST Generator-alternator head
That puts out 33 Amps at 240V.
or the 12KW for 50 Amps.

Can be direct-coupled with a special coupling and bellhousing
adapter or even belt driven (1:1 ratio).

Note that these are 4-pole alternators.
2-pole cheapies are to be avoided as the engine needs to
run at 3600 RPm instead of leisurely 1800 RPm.

VW engine will be loafing even with the 12KW load.

Have a gander at these engines on Samba: "used to bail hay on
Pennsylvania Amish farms in the ‘70s & ‘80s"
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifie....php?id=700422

LOL

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/