Old January 5th 15, 01:28 AM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alan Baker

Default Myth: The motor car is the ultimate freedom machine

On 2015-01-04 23:22:06 +0000, Free Spirit, Chief of Quixotic Enterprises said:

> On Sunday, January 4, 2015 5:46:14 PM UTC-5, Alan Baker wrote:

>>> "Eliminate car use?"
>>>
>>> I tell you drivers tend to be radical. I want to retire the bad drivers
>>> so the other forms of transportation as well as the good drivers can
>>> enjoy more room.

>> I want to require all drivers to be good drivers... ...or lose their
>> right to drive.

> Well, we need those SPEED CAMERAS to start separating the good drivers
> from the bad drivers.

No. We don't.

Speed cameras tell you precisely nothing about whether some is a good
driver or not.

> Hint: Good drivers don't go speeding on city streets. They should have
> a working passing lane on freeways.

If by "speeding" you mean "exceeding the posted limit", then you can
make every driver into a "bad" driver simply by lowering the limit to a
ridiculous number.

The simple fact is that traffic engineers and scientists recommend
setting limits at the 85th percentile of free flowing traffic speed. A
limit set below that will result in many good drivers exceeding it.