Old January 18th 04, 04:55 AM
rnf2

"Bret Chase" > wrote

> >:|
> >:|Went and had a look at the LSTA site.
> >:|
> >:|"The load supported by the tow coupling should be about 10 percent of

the
> >:|trailer gross weight (30 - 40kg for the average household trailer). The
> >:|trailer draw bar should be level or slightly nose down."
> >:|
> >:|I've never had a problem however towing the trailer over hills, tight
> >:|curves, gravel roads and hairpin bends. and it stays square behind the

tow
> >:|vehicle without sway.
> >:|
> >:|It helps that the trailer has springs made for the weight and has

shocls or
> >:|dampers. Overly light springs or an undampened trailer would tend to

sway a
> >:|lot more.
> >:|
> >:|rhys
> >:|

> I personnally have never seen a trailer with shocks on them. 30-40Kg
> is fine for a trailer weighing in at 300-400kg (i.e. the average
> household tailer). tongue weight gets real important when you start
> talking about short trailers with 4000kg on them (a small skid steer
> loader for example). the local rental place LOVES to load them right
> up on the tongue of their trailer.... probably 40-50% trailer weight
> on the tongue... the trailer tows like crap... when I load the trailer
> with the loader more on the wheels it tows soooooooo much better.
>
> -Bret

The local garage here builds their own design of trailer, made of 6mm thick
box section and I girder steel, with leaf springs off 1 ton or 2 ton light
trucks and shocks.

And they go up from there. 4000Kg skid steer? they built the car trailer
they haul a 6500Kg tractor with FEL and tray themselves.

Our small household trailer was re-done by them with Bedford van springs
when we shifted out to the farm, and rather than towning light loads of
branches to the city dump we started hauling heavy loads of gravel. they
reinforced it majorly but we still often borrow the neighbours shocked
trailer if we're gonna be hauling real loads of gravel or suchlike.

rhys