Old September 24th 05, 07:04 AM
Jim Warman

Thanks, Dave... in actuality there are many consumers on my side... on a
Friday night, these people are enjoying an evening with their loved ones or
are pre-occupied with a hobby or other interest. These folks aren't
bothered with shoddy, low ball repairs. They aren't worried that they wont
make it to work or their next appointment.

There are those that are only concerned with "what's broke".... there are
those who prefer to avoid addressing a related concern on a subsequent
visit. It's a matter of taste.... we can drive from one scheduled service to
another, comfortable in the feeling that we wont be stranded or
embarrassed - or we can drive from one breakdown to the next, bitching about
the poor quality of service we doom ourselves to....

"Dave Combs" > wrote in message
news
> Jim--
>
> As a professional you do indeed have an obligation to do the right thing
> whether moral or legal. I just had my injectors replaced on my '90 LX

5.0.
> They said they could locate the bad one and replace it but there might be
> others going bad down the road so I agreed to have them all replaced.

They
> also recommended Ford OEM ones over the NAPA ones at a higher price,
> obviously, to which I agreed. So I guess I'm your kind of customer. As I
> mentioned in my earlier post on this thread when I used to do my own brake
> work I just replaced the pads but that's my problem. When I pay good

money
> for a professional job I expect a trouble free repair so I am. maybe the
> only one, on your side.
>
> Dave
>

> "Jim Warman" > wrote in message
> newsL1Ze.189738$wr.36340@clgrps12...
> > Well, let's take a brief interlude from the usual (and quite evident)

"all
> > mechanics are asshole scammy *******s" and "all shops will pouind it up
> > yoiur ass hard enough to make you scream" and get into real life.....

This
> > is no to say that there aren't scammy *******s out there, and there's no
> > lack of shops that make you supply you're own vaseline.... BUT...
> >
> > Someone said your rotors aren't too good.... I've said similar things

many
> > times.... Not being able to see yours, leaves me (and the scammy *******
> > advocates) at a disadvantage.
> >
> > Your rotors aren't too good can also mean.... if they were on my car, I
> > would replace them....... these rotors may have you telling folks my

brake
> > job stinks but I have no legal reason to fail them at this time.....
> >
> > Isn't it interesting that everyone wants the "cheap bid" yet everyone

gets
> > ****ed when the cheap bid proves to be cheap.
> >
> > FWIW... I serve what might be described as "high end" customers. These

are
> > folks that insist on dependale, reliable vehicles. They aren't mad at

the
> > price of the repair... they are mad at repeat repairs. They hate

visiting
> me
> > but they want me to be sure that they don't have to visit me anytime in

> the
> > near future.
> >
> > The art of auto repair has many definitions... Some on this NG, if they

> were
> > to meet me professionally, would probably consider me a "scammy

> *******"....
> > Truth of the matter is that I will service your vehicle in a manner that
> > will almost eliminate the chance of unexpected breakdowns.... Others

(like
> > my son) prefer to operate from one breakdown to the next all the while
> > insisting they "service" the vehicle regularly. Unfortunately, I can't

see
> > how we can substitute the word "service" for the word "repair"....
> >
> > In my world, I have two options... replace suspect parts and be called a
> > scam artist.or fail to replace suspect parts and have the quality of my
> > repairs called into question. Surprisingly, I can throw unecessary part
> > after unecessary part at someones vehicle in a vain attempt to cover my

> lack
> > of diagnostic ability and that would make me a "thorough mechanic"....
> >

> > "BradandBrooks" > wrote in message
> > Took my 5.0 into Ford for some brake work - a little squeaking and a

mushy
> > pedal.
> >
> > (Car is a 93 and has 36,000 miles. Original brakes as far as I know.)
> >
> > Well, they replaced the front pads but said the rotors are not too good.

> Not
> > worth replacing, but that they will "warp quickly". WHAT the HELL does

> that
> > mean? Either you replace them or not??? If I burned them out, okay, I'm

> > dummy, if not, they will work. Ford techs, help me on this one.
> >
> > The brakes work nice now and the pedal is high and light. All stock

parts