Old November 17th 10, 10:59 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Alexander Rogge

Default SPEEDING FINES BANNED BY GERMAN JUDGE

> http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/...-German-Judge-
>
> A JUDGE is refusing to punish any more speeding drivers – because he
> says police use cameras to fill up empty municipal coffers.
> Helmut Knoener, based in the British Army garrison town of Herford,
> Germany, has let off more than 40 drivers in a week. He is issuing no
> more penalties until MPs look “at how and why speed cameras are used”.

Before considering any potential corruption that is related to the
operation of the cameras, it is actually difficult to use speed-cameras
for revenue collection, especially when speed-limits are set
appropriately. I have passed many speed-cameras, and never have I been
tagged for speeding. This is predominately because the speed-cameras
are in areas where the speed-limit is obvious without needing to see a
number painted on a sign. If you are driving faster than the posted
speed-limit, you are probably driving dangerously and disrupting traffic.

I obey the speed-restrictions without much exception. If I'm driving in
a derestricted zone and I see a sign that indicates a speed-restriction,
I slow to the posted speed. If I'm in a residential zone where the
speed-limit is 50, I won't drive faster than 50; if it's a 30-zone, I
slow to 30. This behaviour is exhibited by many drivers, making
speed-cameras a financial failure except for the purposes of
speed-monitoring and enforcement.

Only by doing something that is not consistent with the accepted norms
can a speed-camera system become effective for revenue-collection.
These inconsistent actions include:

Configuring the camera to tag drivers who are driving slightly above the
speed-limit, but within an acceptable margin of error;
Lowering the posted speed-limit for the benefit of revenue-collection at
a specific point, contrary to the proper speed-limit for the street;
Posting a normal speed-limit and configuring the camera to tag at a
different limit;
Improperly-installing the camera, such that it detects the movement of
objects other than the approaching traffic at a specific point;
Falsifying the data collected.