Old February 2nd 08, 02:14 AM posted to rec.autos.antique
Nate Nagel[_2_]

Default Newby Needs Advice

wrote:

>>> Howdy, I confess I'm completely new to this NG, so I apologize if I
>>>should be looking in a FAQ somewhere for this info. But I find myself
>>>needing it rather suddenly. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
>>> I suddenly find myself needing to dispose of my father's car. Not the
>>>one he drove, the one he hasn't even started up in 35 years, but can't
>>>bear to part with. It's a 1946 Chrysler Windsor. It's been sitting in a
>>>garage since 1973. Obviously, it would need major restoration to be
>>>drivable, but OTOH, it's in pretty good shape for not having had any care
>>>in so long.
>>> So Question One: What would be the best way to go about putting this
>>>car on the market? Magazine ads? Web site? Something else?
>>> And just for fun, would anyone like to hazard a wild-eyed,
>>>shot-in-the-dark, ballpark what the beast might be worth? Hundreds?
>>>Thousands? Whatever scrap iron is bringing this week?

>>Can't tell you a very good price on the car, but a '46 anything will be in
>>the thousands if it's complete without rust damage. That was the first
>>model year since 1941 for just about any American car.
>>
>>Hemmings Motor News is the premium place to sell antique autos. Ebay is
>>typically where you go when you run out of options.
>>
>>George Patterson
>> Worry doesn't improve the future; it just ruins the present.

> Ah, but if you want to maximize exposure for a minimal investment, I
> recommend EBay.

and try to get it running first. Unless it was parked with known
mechanical issues. Running at least well enough to drive onto a car
carrier is a big plus, as shipping will be much cheaper than if it is
completely inop.

nate

--
replace "roosters" with "cox" to reply.