Old August 17th 10, 09:55 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.tech
woger151

Default Mysterious dead battery in 2000 Honda Accord

On Aug 17, 4:38*pm, m6onz5a > wrote:
> On Aug 17, 4:14*pm, woger151 > wrote:
>

> > Last weekend my wife reported that the battery was dead in our 2000
> > Honda Accord V6.

> > I charged battery overnight; started fine after I put it back in.
> > Looked for drains with a multimeter; after a few minutes, current went
> > down to 12 mA, which AFAICT means there's no way it could empty the
> > battery. (Car had been parked at most a couple days, and it's pretty
> > warm here.)

> > After getting some reasonable replies in a different thread here, I
> > took it to Advance Auto Parts and had it tested for free. Everything
> > checked out fine.

> > Anyone have any ideas? I know that electrical issues can be
> > notoriously hard to diagnose. Is it possible there's something about
> > the alternator or the rest of the car's electrical system that the
> > test at Advance would have missed? (The test is broken down into a few
> > parts (battery, starter, charging system), all reporting normal.)

> > Also, if there was something seriously wrong with the alternator or
> > battery, I assume I'd be getting dead batteries more frequently. We
> > had a dead battery quite a while back, probably due to cab light being
> > left on. After that, last spring the alternator went bad. Had that
> > replaced. A couple weeks after that, left it at the airport for about
> > 5 days; dead when we got back. Had it jumped. It's been fine until
> > last weekend. THat's a pretty big gap (early May to mid August).

> > TIA

> How old is the battery?? Anything near 4-5 years old and it's time for
> a new one.

It's from 2009. Checked out at the auto parts place (load test).

> with the car running put the multimeter on the battery to see what
> your alternator is charging at. It should be above 13.5vdc or so.
>
> does the car get driven on a regular basis?

Not every day, but at least 3 times a week. Given how warm it is
outside, I find it hard to believe that there's not enough driving
going on to charge the battery.

> A jump start may get you going, but your alternator won't fully charge
> your battery. You need to slow charge the battery with a charger..
> alternators only quick charge batteries.

Yeah, that's what I did this weekend. Took the battery out (no garage
here), placed it on a charger and set the charger to 2 A.