Old May 16th 18, 05:04 PM posted to rec.autos.driving
Erik Meltzer[_2_]

Default Autobahn (was: "Emergency Vehicle")

Hi!

On 16.05.2018 17:52, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 05/16/2018 04:14 AM, Erik Meltzer wrote:
>> Is this group dead, or is something wrong with my feed?

> Nope, this is the new 'normal'.* The only really active groups, at least
> of the 30 or so I subscribe to, seem to be computer-related.* Everyone
> else seems to have migrated to facebook, which is a real shame.* It's no
> substitute.

Nothing that's controlled by a company is a substitute, by definition.
They'll all disappear some day. Usenet won't (it might keep getting
smaller, but there'll always be a geek with a newsserver somewhere).

> Are there still no speed limits on the Autobahn?

Most Autobahns are unlimited, but those most travelled typically have
a 120 km/h limit these days. Some have adaptive speed limits: huge
illuminated signs that can show different speed limits (and other
signs like "no overtaking for trucks" or "fog" etc.) according to
conditions. When conditions are good and traffic is light, most of
those are unlimited too.

But most drivers seem to have slowed down. I don't see nearly as
many speeding past me with 200+ km/h as I did a decade ago. I don't
think fuel prices are the reason; they haven't risen that much.
Probably a combination of more traffic and more thinking? Well,
maybe I'm just being optimistic.

My feel-good speed varies between 100 and 160 km/h (60 to 100 mph)
depending on circumstances and conditions.

Yours,
Ermel.
--
Nach 10 Jahren oder so zurück im Usenet.
Schmeckt wie früher.