Old December 28th 05, 05:52 PM posted to rec.autos.driving,alt.true-crime,talk.politics.misc

Default The perfect storm

Laura Bush murdered her boy friend wrote:
> Brent P wrote:
> > Here it comes, 100% tracking in the USA. A perfect storm of left wing and
> > right wing issues turning into the tracking and taxing of every vehicle
> > in the US of A.
> >
> > http://news.com.com/E-tracking,+comi...3-5980979.html

> You reckless drivers are causing this by giving the govt a perfect
> argument. All they have to do is point out all the thousands of
> children killed and maimed every year by speeders and DUIs and red
> light runners etc.

This is how you can make statistics lie...

You, along with the NHTSA, IIHS, and other less than open-minded
organizations have repeatedly bleated the "truth" that "speeding
kills." However, I admit that when conditions allow, I have been known
to exceed the speed limit. I've been doing it ever since I got my
driver's license some 15 years ago. Show me ONE child, or any living
thing larger than a bird or squirrel, that I have killed, maimed, or
even scratched and I will concede that you may have a valid argument.
Furthermore, most people can say the same thing - they exceed the speed
limit on a regular basis and yet manage to go quite a few years without
any incident at all. Why should I, and the majority of the driving
public, be punished due to the fact that other people are simply poor
drivers (regardless of whether or not they exceed the speed limit?)

nate