Old June 13th 09, 04:18 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
tww1491

Default honda s600 chain final drive? but why?

"fred" > wrote in message
> Tegger > wrote in
> :
>
>> z > wrote in news:0105b3d0-b4b5-418e-a18d-
>> :
>>
>>> turns out the old Honda s600 little sporty cars had a differential and
>>> half shafts in the rear, but then little sealed chain drives from the
>>> end of the half shaft to the rear wheel on either side. ???? just to
>>> reduce unsprung weight?? only reason i can think of.
>>>

>> To create an independent rear suspension that also drove the rear
>> wheels. I can only guess Honda used this design because it used
>> technology Honda understood.
>>

> Quite the car from what I've seen. I saw Leno driving his recently on "My
> Classic Car", and the thing sounds like a proper full blown sports car -
> at 30Mph <g>. Lovely engine sound.

I remember the car from my days in Japan circa 1967-69, both the S600 and
the S800. Stratospheric rpms as I recall. I autocrossed a Sunbeam Tiger
(modified) at the time with the Tokyo Sports Car Club, but the S series
Hondas were in a different class than the 4.2 ltr V8 Tiger.