Old January 29th 08, 02:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Default Smelly Exhaust, Oil stains on bumper, what could this be? Civicproblems.

85miles wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a 98 Honda Civic with 245,000 KM.
>
> I am trying to figure out this problem.
>
> My exhaust kind of smells stinky, kind of a mild smell of rotten eggs,
> and also my bumper just above my exhaust is full of black oil
> deposits.
>

> I've been researching for answers and I think i have it narrowed down
> to either; Oxygen sensor, Fuel pressure regulator, or a" charcoal
> canister valve" which is under the chassis next to the gas tank.
>
> I have had a check engine pop on about 2 months ago now. Got it
> scanned and this code: P1457 Evap emissions code (Check Engine Light)
> came up. Which could just be from me overfilling my gas tank.
>
> I want to mention that sometimes my idle is rough. It happens about a
> minute after driving and only lasts for about 10 seconds then goes
> away until i start my car again.
>
> Anyways please someone help me narrow this down, I know it can be more
> than one thing.
>
> But lets fix the smelly exhaust and burning of oil problem, I'm tired
> of cleaning the oil stains off my rear bumper!
>
> Thanks guys.

check the ignition system is in good condition - plugs, leads,
distributor cap & rotor. replace all of them if old.

as for burnt oil, the sign to look for is the level on the dipstick
going down, not smuts on your bumper.