Old October 14th 04, 03:22 PM
Sleepy Joe

Speedy Jim > wrote in message >...
> Sleepy Joe wrote:
> >
> > Hi!
> > I have a ?73 VW Beetle.
> > I bought an AutoZone battery and installed it on 5-28-02. I think it
> > is time for a new one. With the headlights on, foot on brake
> > pedal/stop lights on, and turn signals on, sometimes the turn signals
> > will not blink. After charging the battery I repeat the same procedure
> > and the turn signals blink or cancel like they should.
> > I charged the battery last month and now I am having to charge it
> > again. I think the battery may not be holding a charge. I checked the
> > v-belt and it was not loose. My voltmeter indicates about 14 volts
> > showing that the battery is being charged when I am driving. It may be
> > because I only drive it about 10 miles, two or three times a week and
> > the battery does not have a chance to get completely recharged after
> > starting the engine.
> > Before it gets cold out, I think I am going to shell it out for a
> > Sears Die Hard Weather Handler battery, $59.95 dollars US or so as
> > compared to $39.95 for an AutoZone battery.
> > Would you guys recommend that I replace the battery for more
> > reliability?
> > Who knows, maybe it is just a corroded turn signal ground wire
> > connection.
> > Thanks! Any help is appreciated! jplikesm73vwbttl

> What does your meter read when all the lights are on and turn signals?
> That could tell if you have excessive voltage drop between battery
> and dash.
>
> Auto-Zone may test your charging system gratis. Worth asking.
>
> Plan B: Connect the car to a trickle charger for the winter.
>
> Speedy Jim
> http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

> What does your meter read when all the lights are on and turn signals?
> That could tell if you have excessive voltage drop between battery
> and dash.

With headlights on, foot on brake/stop lights on, and turn signals on
my VDO Cockpit style voltmeter reads between 9 volts and 10 volts.
With the addtion of having the wipers on it reads about 9 volts.
A VW mechanic told me that it only needs 9 volts to keep it running.
But since then I got a CDI ignition. I wonder if that changes anything?