Old November 26th 17, 06:02 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default 2.5 ton jack and a 6,900 lb truck

Paul in Houston TX > wrote:
>Michael wrote:
>> I know that a 2.5 ton jack does not actually equal 6900 lbs, but since it's raising only one end, I'm wondering if it is safe to use it for a vehicle this size.

Is it a real 2.5 tons or is it 2.5 "harbor freight" tons?
Are you lifting the front or the back? The front is likely heavier.

>A 2.5T floor jack lifts my neighbor's giant 4wd Suburban front end.
>It's difficult but does work.

That's a little scary, but okay.

>No jack is safe. I don't trust any of them.

Absolutely. When using the jack, keep a constant eye on what would happen
if the jack failed and don't be underneath anything or have anything important
there. Make sure that when the jack fails the end result will not be
severe damage. Always use jack stands. Use real jack stands, not harbor
freight jack stands. Keep hands out until jack stands are in place.
--scott