Old June 30th 06, 04:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.vw.aircooled

Default link to record engine swap video

At one of the old Bug-In's, at Orange County Int'l Raceway, Fred
Simpson, and Rand "Zubie" Foster entered the engine pull contest, which
was this:
The Type 1 had to pass a tech inspection, to ascertain that all bolts,
nuts, cables, etc were on, and tight.
At the sound of the "GO" the two-man team went up 10 feet, jacked up
the car, put it on jack stands, pulled the engine, pulled it back 10
feet, pulled it forward 10 feet, re-installed the engine, dropped the
car off the jack stands (which were required, no pulling the engine
with 2 floor jacks, one on the car, one on the engine!) started the
car, and drove forward 10 feet. They managed this in 2 minutes, 17
seconds..... what makes this even more remarkable is the fact that in
that time, they did it TWICE.... In that particular engine pull
contest, they came in 1st... *AND* 3rd, all in the same contest.
There is an old Super-8 video of Fred and Rand pulling this off (or
out, as the case may be) and I believe Dan from Ocean Street Video is
in the process of cleaning up the graininess, and transferring it to
DVD. I've seen the video, and it really happened. Those two look like
well-oiled machinery whern they do it. it's pretty obvious they had
rehearsed this manuver once or twice...even (a very young-looking)
"Dyno Don" Chamberlin was impressed...