Old August 26th 04, 04:44 AM
snoogans27

"Jay Somerset" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 05:55:09 -0400, "David" > wrote:
>
> > So what is the appropriate time to replace the timing belt on a 2000

1.8t
> > quattro?
> >
> > My manual suggests replacing at 120,000 miles. I'm assuming that this

is
> > with the improved tensioner. However, I keep seeing reports of early
> > failure, probably/possibly due to the old tensioner. Unfortunately, no

one
> > ever states whether the model had the old tensioner or the new "improved
> > version.

> I think you must have misread (or mistyped) this -- that figure would

surely
> be KILOMETERS, not miles.

No, the Audi recommended interval for US 1.8T engines is/was 120k MILES.
Really stupid, and lots have broken before then, but thats what they say.
I've also heard 90k MILES as an Audi recommended interval, but lots of
stories of the breaking around 60-70k. I bought my a4 with 84k miles on it
and had all the belts/pullys/tensioners + water pump and t-stat done at 92k.