Old August 25th 04, 02:20 AM
David

No, the manual it says 120,000 miles, not kilometers.!!!

I kid you not.
My last car, a V6 Toyota Camry (non-interference engine) suggested checking
the belt every 60,000 miles. There was no suggested replacement interval.

I replaced the first belt at 120,000 miles, and after driving the car
another 200,000 miles the belt is still intact. Of course, I'd never take
this kind of chance with an interference engine.
"Jesper Giovanni" > wrote in message
> David wrote:
> > So what is the appropriate time to replace the timing belt on a 2000
> > 1.8t quattro?
> >
> > My manual suggests replacing at 120,000 miles. I'm assuming that
> > this is with the improved tensioner. However, I keep seeing reports
> > of early failure, probably/possibly due to the old tensioner.
> > Unfortunately, no one ever states whether the model had the old
> > tensioner or the new "improved version.

> Hopefully you mean 120.000 _kilometers and not miles!?
> If you wait with the belt ītill 120.000 _miles_, then there will most

surely