Old December 29th 05, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.driving

Default Speeding teen kills self and friend - Described as an " incredibly outgoing, beautiful person"

Quote:

I've posted nothing of the kind. If you have a problem with a specific

post, cite it.
It was pertaining to the 'Another self-proclaimed princess..." Which
had this not been there, probably myself or Staci's mom would never had
posted anything. It was that one line that
motivated a response. Perhaps, you meant no harm.

Quote:
The fact remains, Teenagers are driving cars that they couldn't
possibily own without the help of mommie and daddie. That is not a
flame
in anyway. Neither is the strict definition of a sports car. It's
existed
since before I was born, and like I posted wether or not I believe in
the
strict definition is irrelevant and does not change what it is.

I understand your stand on the importance of how these 'children' can
afford such vehicles. However, there isn't a debate on whether your
opinion is right or wrong, albeit, in hind-thought, I can assure you
his family have their regret and are overwhelmed by guilt, and still,
whether he paid for it in cash, his parents co-signed a loan, or even
he borrowed the car is not going to bring Staci back. I agree, parents
need to take responsibilty when they provide them with a car without
providing the child with the training to use it responsibly. The
consequence is much too high.

Brent Wrote:

Quote:
Here lies the problem in US society. It's "heartless" to examine real
causes of incidents. We are supposed to be feeling for the loss or
looking for someone else or something to blame.
No. Making sense and finding blame are two separate things.
The blame is on Eric, the driver who drove recklessly and hadn't
considered Staci's well fare. What I guess I would like to know is
what 'irresponsible' manuevers would cause a vehicle that is made
and designed to handle over 100 mph speeds, to spin out on a
straight-way,
with no other 'known' vehicles on the roadway and crash, breaking into
two halfs
and shattered pieces. I wonder...if this question will remain
unanswered.

Brent Wrote:

Quote:
I've been in one major collision in my life. I've told the story here
before. The front driver's side tire of my 1975 maverick blew out while

braking from aproximately 55mph on an interstate. The car spun and I
pulled it out of the spin to a stop where it was then hit on the
passenger side by a semi truck.
I would consider this situation an accident. No one has any control
over the situation,
no one caused it, life just happens.

I agree, the teenagers today have no respect, no concern for
consequence and unfortunately, have never learned to take
responsibility for their actions. It appears they don't care.

Quote:
There was recently a decision in a lawsuit where ford was successfully
sued for 65 million dollars in damages because a ford explorer flipped
over when the teenaged driver fell asleep at the wheel, woke up and
gave the
steering wheel a yank in an effort to get back on the road. How in the

world is the crash of an essentially driverless vehicle, hell worse
than
a driverless vehicle, someone giving steering inputs that are exactly
what one would do to cause a flip and there is no examination of driver

training or responsibility. It's ford's fault. There are countless
lawsuits like this.
And that is only because society once again, does not expect everyone
to take responsibility for their own actions. Like the lawsuit on
Mcdonalds and the hot coffee.
Again, the point was not to find blame but to clarify that Staci didn't
think herself to be a princess, but rather her mother did.

Quote:
Yeah, I'm the heartless one, calling for real training, engineered road

systems, better performing vehicles (braking,handling,lighting,etc),
and
other things to prevent crashes while the "feeling" members of society
pass another <insert child's name> law that does absolutely nothing but

annoy people.
No, I don't consider the desire for real training heartless, I do
however, feel that
the opinion and points made through this thread could be presented
with respect for the families. Just like your most recent post. The
points
are strong, clearly written and are respectful.

I appreciate your input and I apologize for intruding on your USENET
forums.

Regards, Elizabeth