Old September 22nd 05, 11:48 PM
pws

> Hi all, I am considering buying a Miata and I have several questions I
> hope you kind folks can answer.
>
> For the past decade I have driven Honda hatchbacks, which I like
> because they are reasonably small, durable, fuel-efficient vehicles
> that handle well. It sounds like the Miatas meet those characteristics
> -- and I am now looking for something smaller than the Hondas.
>
>>From consumer reviews I've read, the Miatas are also durable,

> long-running, reliable and reasonably fuel-efficient.

This is true.

> Here's what I would like to know:
>
> How long is the average lifespan of a Miata? How much more can I expect
> to get out of one if I buy it at 100K miles? 125K? 150K? (I've seen
> some at nearly 200K). I know it depends on how it's been driven during
> those miles, but I'm trying to get a ballpark idea.

It depends on how it has been serviced more than how it was driven,
unless the driver abused it. It is impossible to say for certain how
long it would last or what would break down.
I would have the car checked out by a mechanic and have a compression
test done on the engine. If you are looking at $3500.00 and less miatas,
you should check to see if the timing belt has been replaced and when.
That is a fairly expensive job to have done and most older miatas need it.

> What are some of the unique expenditures Miata owners have to
> undertake? For example, I understand the back windows tend to fade and
> need replacing. How often? How much does that cost? What other sorts of
> things, particular to Miatas, bring an added cost to the owner?

Yes, the plastic window will eventually fail, as will the top at some
point. How long depends on whether it was covered from sunlight, how
often it was cleaned and polished, etc. The window will also crack if
you mess with it during freezing weather. The 1999+ miatas have glass
windows, my favorite improvement, but you won't find one of those for
anywhere around $3500.00 unless the car has major problems.
Also, there is always a chance that someone will slash your top, which
is never inexpensive to fix. A number of people here have dealt with
that, I have been lucky so far. This is obviously a problem that is
univeral to all ragtops.

> If I'm shopping for one, what are some of the particular weak spots on
> these cars I should look for, above and beyond the usual engine checks,
> tire checks, suspension checks and so on?

This link covers many details on buying a used miata.

http://miata.net/faq/usedmx5.html

> Also, in your experience, how much does it cost to insure a Miata in a
> major city if it's a female driver being insured?

The miata is a low cost, low horsepower car that is relatively
inexpensive to insure, especially the older ones.
I would guess that the rates would be similar to what you have paid on
the Hondas in the past.

> The reason I ask is that I've seen several of these cars in my price
> range (under $3500) but they are older cars. The car I'm giving up now
> was also older and in bad shape (compared to other cars of its age - a
> Honda at 136K miles is by no means an old car). I'd like not to spend
> thousands of dollars on repairs immediately if I can avoid it - I'd
> rather make a wise buy, of course.
>
> Anything else I should know?

I would check Carfax as well as having a mechanic look at it. Neither
one is perfect, but I think that it improves your chances of avoiding a
lemon.

> Thanks so much. I'm excited by the prospect of owning one of these cars!

Good luck!

Pat