Old March 8th 20, 04:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Arlen Holder[_2_]

Default ECU programming

On Sat, 7 Mar 2020 18:50:58 -0800 (PST), Randall Shimizu wrote:

> i bought a used ECU for my vehicle.
> I am considering flashing the ECU myself.
> I noticed that there is some Chinese companies that are selling a USB cable.
> I already have one.
> So can I use openecu software or do I need to purchase a Tactrix openport cable.

I'm not familiar with Tactrix or OpenECU, so I'll just speak about BMW
software and Chinese cables.

I have dealt with what BMW calls an Electronic Control Unit using the BMW
software known as Progman (along with Ediabas, Inpa, DIS/GT1, NCS, etc.)
which requires a RS232 or USB adapter to the vehicle 20-pin Pacman or
16-pin OBDII port & Windows software to "code" the dozen or so ECUs on the
bimmer.

The common Chinese L-Line, K-Line D-CAN cables work just fine.
--
Together we can learn far more than anyone of us can by learning alone.