Old April 18th 07, 04:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
John Horner

Default 2003 Honda Accord battery

Rudy wrote:
> My 2003 Honda Accord (4 cyl auto) has the original battery. I can't
> see the brand if it matters. Most batteries where I live last 3 to 4
> years.
>
> Last year I was going to replace it and a Honda service department
> told me it was almost like new and therefore no need. My mistake was
> not to note the color in the battery eye glass. Today I saw on the
> top of the battery a note that says that a dark green or dark color
> (forgot which) in the eye glass means insufficient charge. Right now,
> the eye glass is dark. I used the car already today but like most
> days, it only gets 5 to 10 mile runs at a time.
>
> If the battery was on it's last leg regardless of how much I used the
> car, would the eye glass remain dark? I will check the battery fluids
> and then may try a battery charger on it if that is advisable. Any
> suggestions. Is it time to buy a new battery?

The eye is a state of charge indicator. Get a small automatic charger
and charge the battery overnight. Do not use a "manual" charger. Make
sure it is the kind of charger which shuts itself off when done. It is
possible that your short trip regimen is not getting the battery fully
charged back up. If the eye turns green after a full charge and the
car is starting well then you probably do not need a new battery. An
example charger is this one from Sears:

DieHard 10/2/50 amp. Automatic Battery Charger
Sears item #02871222000 Mfr. model #71222
http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/0...=2.56&fmt=jpeg

Honda US sources it's batteries from Johnson Controls and the Japanese
made Honda batteries I have seen say Panasonic on them. Interestingly
enough, the green eye technology was an AC-Delco patented invention way
back when, but I think Johnson bought the AC-Delco battery business from
Delphi after GM kicked it's parts making division to the curb.