Old March 21st 13, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair,alt.autos.bmw,alt.home.repair
Bimmer Owner

Default Root cause insight into the common BMW blower motor resistorfailures

On Thu, 21 Mar 2013 16:59:01 -0400, tm wrote:

> Just measure the battery current with and without the blower running.
> Turn every thing else off.

That's a pretty good idea.

Of course, it's impossible to turn everything off, as the computer
won't go to sleep for 16 minutes after the car is shut and armed,
but, still - with the blower consuming something like 5 or 6 amps,
we should be able to measure at least that.

The problem, even with the car's additional electronics powered up,
is HOW MUCH of a difference are we expecting between an older blower
motor current draw and a new one?

Are we looking for a 1 amp difference, for example?