Old May 15th 09, 12:36 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger[_2_]

Default Using Vaseline on Battery Terminals

"Ulysses" > wrote in
:

> "Don Stauffer" > wrote in message
>> jim evans wrote:
>> > For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals
>> > with Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because
>> > it seems like the grease would act like an insulator and impede
>> > electrical conduction between the posts and terminals.
>> >
>> > Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not,
>> > why do you think that's so?

>> While the vasoline MAY be squeezed out from within the connection,
>> the normal way to apply it is AFTER the connection is made. That is,
>> with the cable connected to the battery post, paint the vasoline
>> around the connector, on all exposed lead and other metal.

> While I basically agree with this statement I always put it on before
> connecting the cable

I do this too. But then my cable connectors are aluminum, and have little
barbs that bite into the battery post when they're tightened. Old-style
lead clamps that are smooth on the inside may not provide enough "bite" to
get through the grease film.

However, since the posts are tapered, it's possible the bottom of the lead
clamp is wedged on firmly enough to make proper contact in spite of the
grease.

> because I have lots of problems with corrosion

Then your post-to-case seal is broken. This is usually due to some sort of
mishandling or overtightening.
Treat your battery with kindness and care, and ye shalt remain corrosion-
free, forevermore.

--
Tegger