Old May 13th 09, 08:19 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Default Using Vaseline on Battery Terminals

jim evans > wrote:
>For years I've heard the advice to coat battery posts & terminals with
>Vaseline to prevent corrosion. I've never done it because it seems
>like the grease would act like an insulator and impede electrical
>conduction between the posts and terminals.

It's good advice. The thing is, the grease is an insulator, but it's
squeezed out by the contacts being forced together. Because the contacts
are both soft lead, this is fairly easy.

And vaseline is a very good insulator.

>Do others who use it have any problems with conduction? If not, why
>do you think that's so?

No, it's fine. It's not as effective as a grease that has an actively
reducing compound in it to prevent corrosion, but it's cheap and better
than nothing.
--scott